For longer than anyone can recount, Steve Outing has been the Editor & Publisher columnist most able to read the industry and prescribe intelligent change.
In his latest post, he provides 11 ideas for newspaper executives:
1. Make digital first.
2. Consolidate print and digital editing.
3. Stop chasing young people with the print edition.
4. Focus on the core demographic in print.
5. Guide readers to a digital life.
6. Reduce the number of print editions.
7. Broaden online news to include micro-personal.
8. Hire a social media VP.
9. Experiment, fail, experiment more.
10. Leverage remaining staffers, augment them.
11. Consider retirement.