1. Role models.
2. A mentor.
3. Employment contacts.
4. A sandbox --- or as he calls it, a place to hack.
5. Work experience.
6. Deep knowledge about something other than journalism.
7. Getting your name out there.
8. Passion, not excuses.
There are many skills to instill, too, but that's not the message of Niles' post. He's looking at broader issues.
I would add a few principles to his list:
1. Agnosticism about platforms. This is no time to decry old media or dismiss new media.
2. Entrepreneurial literacy. The work models of the future are more likely to be contractual, project-based and fluctuating than they have been.
3. Generosity. A graduate needs to seed the ground for others.