Usher spent five months with the Business Day team of The New York Times --- not necessarily the most representative of the news industry, but with all the same challenges on an admittedly large scale. She found that it's possible, even more likely, to drive for quality.
But there are significant requirements:
1. Newsrooms need to differentiate content.
2. Those with a print cycle need to be able to pause and plan.
3. Speed only applies to certain stories.
4. The audience wants more, now more than ever, and journalists should listen.
5. Speed needs to be applied to more than just text.