The focus is Foursquare but could just as easily be Gowalla or any of the services. Contributors Shane Snow and Vadim Lavrusik identify ways in which newsrooms can benefit, and even if they seem a little marginal as ideas of the moment, they are bound to grow as the services grow.
Among the tips:
1. Finding targeted contacts.
2. Breaking news surveillance.
3. Gathering tips from users.
4. Learning about people you're profiling.
5. Watching trends.
6. Publishing and distributing content.
The authors note Facebook is stepping forward with location-based service shortly, a move that ought to further change the game.