J.P. Morgan has put its extensive annual look at Internet and media trends online. It's an exceptional document that points to the need for imminent digital development.
Some of the highlights:
- The newspaper advertising decline will accelerate. Layoffs will leave newspapers unable to be hyper-local. Investment should be made in investigative journalism.
- Bloggers are becoming a trusted resource, so when the recession ends, some newspaper advertising will shift to blogs.
- Mobile remains a long-term interest but short-term challenge.
- An advertising exchange is a good concept.
- Google will continue to take market share.
- Net neutrality will become a larger issue.
- Microsoft and Yahoo will likely reach a search deal.