John Battelle's Searchblog generates some of the most erudite reading on the development of social media, so his 2009 predictions are significant markers.
His 14 points, 13 of them not self-directed, offer some terrific insight into the next stages. Among them:
1. Google will lose market share but its stock will rise.
2. Yahoo and AOL will merge and Microsoft will buy the search business from the merged entity.
3. The online media space will be hit hard.
4. Apple will hit the ceiling.
5. Agencies and publishers will adopt each other's roles.
It's not doing justice to list the ideas this way. Better to read the post here.