The Nieman Journalism Lab has riffed today on how some of Jimmy Fallon's plans for his new late-night television show (starting tonight) ought to be lessons for the newspapers.
1. Live commercials (eventually). Meaning: Experiment with advertising people notice.
2. The Internet as a source of content. Meaning: Link out.
3. The Web extension of the show as a lab. Meaning: Find a safe place to experiment, use cheaper bi-products for that reason.
4. The show will be interactive. Meaning: Use social media.
5. There will be in-show sponsorship. Meaning: See #1.
6. There will be different sorts of celebrities, like Steve Jobs. Meaning: Go niche, not mass.
Joshua Benton's post is a good piece of thinking.