Buzzmachine and its engine Jeff Jarvis continue to produce some of the most provocative commentary on the direction of news and information. Today's post is an exceptionally long but compelling look at how local news is bound to change. Some of his points;
1. News will not be about news organizations, but their communities.
2. Local news organizations will be smaller.
3. News will emerge from networks.
4. The heart of news organizations will be beats.
5. Editors will be curators, those encouraging and improving creation.
6. Some journalism will be supported by the public.
7. Investigative work will continue.
8. News organizations will do what they do best and link to the rest.
9. Specialization will take over much of journalism.
10. News will find new forms, including reverse syndication, and they'll be disaggregated.
11. Lots of non-news organizations will produce news.
12. Revenue will still come from advertising.
It's worth a full read.