Let's summarize what he's seeing:
1. Archives: Searls wants them free. Few are doing so.
2. Feature archives. He sees more of that.
3. Link out. It's happening generally.
4. Start following and connecting with local bloggers. Searls says he isn't seeing it. I think it's happening, though.
5. Recruit those bloggers as stringers. Happening.
6. Use citizen journalists for breaking news. Happening.
7. Stop calling everything content. He's given up on this one.
8. Simplify the site. It's a challenge.
9. Make the Web live. He sees social media as an assistant.
10. Create rivers of news. Still a work-in-progress.
Searls' post is illuminating for its early insight into the direction the platform would take and for his sensible observations.